Business students score high on national exam

Congratulations spread throughout campus after School of Business seniors received high scores.

For the seventh year in a row, seniors from the Washburn School of Business have earned high marks in the EST Major Field Test. Sixty-five seniors scored in the top 20 percent on this national exam given at approximately 600 colleges and universities.  Out of a possible 200 points, the Washburn seniors earned an average of 158 points.  Twenty-two students scored in the top 25 percent and 60 percent of students scored above the national average.

The EST Major Field Test measures the comprehensive subject knowledge students gained while earning their undergraduate business degree.  The Washburn School of Business administers the test during the capstone course.  It is used to help the school assess its programs.  This allows the school to set benchmarks for performance while comparing itself to other business programs throughout the country.

David Sollars, dean of the School of Business attributed the success to the high expectations they hold for their students as well as the dedication of the Washburn community as a whole. Sollars said, over half of the BBA curriculum is taken outside of the School of Business so congratulations have been shared with all faculty and staff on campus.

“We are very pleased with the performance of our undergraduate students,” Sollars said.  “It reflects the dedication of our students, faculty and staff to provide a high-quality business education for our students.   It is also a reflection of the support provided by the university, the Washburn Endowment Association, our alumni and other supporters who have provided resources to support student learning.”