Local authors to read published works

Washburn students and the general public will be treated to a literary, and poetry reading and visual art show. The event, a celebration of the release of the 2010 Inscape journal will take place on Wednesday April 14, at 7 p.m., at the Bradbury Thompson Alumni center. Various writers and poets will read from their original work that will be featured in Inscape.

Since its inception in 1972, Inscape, a literary journal, has evolved with the times to its present form. Throughout its existence, Inscape has aspired to serve as a vibrant element of the literary landscape by inviting creative risks, by publishing quality works of fiction, nonfiction and poetry.

The journal is compiled of pieces of literature and visual art that has been submitted from the region and all over the country. Sarah Smarsh, faculty advisor of Inscape said that about 350 submissions of poetry, 200 fiction pieces and 40 nonfiction stories were submitted this year. All of them were read, but only a handful of submissions were picked to be published. Students in the publishing lab class serve as the editors and designers of this journal. Students also handpicked, edited and published all the pieces that have been submitted.

The celebration is a way for students to kick off the release of the publication and show it to the public.

“Students have worked really hard and put their blood, sweat and tears into this publication,” said Smarsh.

Copies of Inscape will be sold at the Washburn University Bookstore and are also available online. The publishers of Inscape encourage you to come join them in the celebration of the release, with a comfortable atmosphere and food and beverage provided.

For more information on Inscape 2010, check out its Facebook page and Web site at www.inscapewashburn.wordpress.com.