10th annual Casino Night closes out Welcome Week activities

Washburn students enjoyed an array of casino games, including roulette, at the 2010 Casino Night, the final event of Welcome Week.

Regina Budden

Washburn’s 10th annual Casino Night made a nice wrap up to the program of Welcome Week events this Saturday.

The Washburn Room of the Memorial Union filled with students and guests who attended what looked more like a Vegas casino than a college hall. The Campus Activities Board sponsored the event, where students lined up to play an array of games that included Texas Hold ‘Em, Roulette, Plinko, Craps and Blackjack. They competed to be included in drawings to win prizes intended to help the students deck out their dorm rooms, such as mini fridges and laundry supplies.

Blake Bryant, a returning junior, said that although he has already attended two previous Casino Night events, this year surprised him.

“It looks like they’ve got some pretty professional dealers,” he said. The dealers were mostly Student Orientation Counselors and other volunteers who had helped throughout Welcome Week, but CAB also joined with a professional organization that provided the games and even a showgirl who paraded the room in sequins and feathers.

“They’ve done a lot more with the decorations this year, which makes for an overall better experience,” said Bryant.