Shefte prepared for soccer success

Ready to start Jordan Shefte, a senior on the Lady Blues soccer team has started every game of her career and is ready to go out with a bang. Photo by Gene Cassell, Sports Information Director.

Lettering four years in any collegiate sport is an accomplishment, but for senior Lady Blue Jordan Shefte, it is just one of many accomplishments she has completed.

Shefte, a senior defender on the soccer team from Omaha, Neb., has started all 64 matches since her freshman year, which ranks seventh in Washburn history. Her attitude and hard work has made her a team leader and a captain for the team. The younger Lady Blues have looked up to her and realize why Shefte has been successful.

“You can always have fun with her because of her care-free attitude,” said freshman Lady Blue Danielle Curtis. “But when Jordan’s on the field she’s all business.”

Head Lady Blues soccer coach Tim Collins contributes Shefte’s success to her smart and aggressive defensive play.

“Jordan has so much knowledge of the game,” Collins said. “It’s almost surreal that it’s going to be her final year playing for us, she is definitely a winner.”

Shefte, just recently became engaged to former WU student-athlete Steve Kinderknecht. The two met at WU in a mass media class, which is also Shefte’s major. Kinderknecht played baseball for the Ichabods last year and graduated with a degree in physical therapy program. He is currently enrolled at Mizzou receiving his masters in health promotions and education, while being a student physical therapist for the MU football team. He feels their time away will help them grow stronger and help their future marriage in the long run.

“I’ve been her wakeup call at 6 a.m. for soccer camp because I had to be at the training room at 5:15 at MU for football,” Kinderknecht said. “We have a schedule where we talk in the morning and lunch time and then Skype at night so we are still talking often which definitely helps.”

Shefte agrees and believes she found a good man for her to spend the rest of her life with.

“We complement each other so well,” Shefte said. “The distance was scary at first, but it will all work out for the best in the end for both of us.”

For the upcoming season Shefte’s team goals include winning the MIAA title and to compete for a national title run. The Lady Blues were preseason picked fourth by the coaches, but Shefte believes this team could make more noise in the conference and national picture.

“As long as we show up with a great attitude and go to work every day, we should have a good shot at achieving our team goals,” Shefte said.