Washburn saves some green by going green

Anjelica Willis

Washburn University is starting a new trend this year called “paperless.”

Washburn is looking for new ways to save money within the university and departments. With that said, Washburn is allowing students to take control of their education.

The instances where students are given their syllabus in class are less common. Students now print them off themselves and while a little inconvenient saving money can go a long way.  

“It’s not only saving money for Washburn but helping the environment,” said Keith Rocci, Librarian Research professor.

According to the financial aid office, steps have been taken to stop wasting paper. In the case of verification forms, students’ papers are scanned and then shredded once three years have passed. Through this process, the office has cut down on both waste and the hassle involved with keeping the records in hard copy form.  

“Journals and magazines are the way things are being published, that’s the way the world is going, the material are not being available in print,” said Judy Druse, assistant dean of Mabee Library. “There are some journals printed online, such as online books, that are available to students doing homework at 1 or 2 a.m. in the morning. They can still research these things even if the library is not,”

Though many of the resources available to students are online, Mabee Library still works to provide hard copies.

“We are still purchasing quite a bit of books such as English and history. They are still very much found in the print world,” said Druse.

Other subjects such as business, English, and nursing are some areas where the library is wanting to expand electronic technology services. 

“It might take two years for a journal to arrive in print, while electronic is available earlier,” said Druse.

With technology becoming increasingly important to student studies, the drive to go paperless will provide both convenience and savings for Washburn’s future.