Fair gives Washburn students advice towards basic wellness

Between balancing tests, work and other obligations, student wellness sometimes goes to the backburner. The Washburn Wellness Fair geared towards changing that.

Washburn hosted the one-stop shop on Sept. 15 in the Washburn Room.

While most people think of wellness as going to the gym, the fair indicated staying well actually consists of much more.

The Wellness Fair had several participants, ranging from information about sports medicine, massages, cancer walks, and respiratory therapy.  While the fair was geared towards wellness of people, some organizations also came just to show their gratitude to Washburn.

“I feel it is important to come back where you started from,” said Jayme Washie, an employee of Helping Hands Humane Society. “I’m alum of Washburn and I participated in the fair to get students into volunteering at Helping Hands Humane Society. It[the Humane Society] is really a beneficial experience and you will like it.”

Also available was information about the annual Race Against Breast Cancer walk/run at Washburn, but the presentation at the fair was about more than just that specific walk. Kris Omni, also an alum of Washburn University, is a coordinator of Save a Life, a cancer support organization.

“Washburn has a wonderful  relationship in the Topeka area and it really helps especially for the walking program,” said Omni.

The organization will also be hosting “Light the Night,” a walk that will be held for cancer survivors and people who have dealt with cancer. It will be this Saturday at 7:30 p.m. on the Washburn Campus.

Washburn students and faculty who visited the various booths learned about the broad range of wellness from the sponsors.

“I liked how the fair had a sonogram to see inside the body and if someone had blood clots,” said Toiya James, sophomore. “I thought that was interesting. They also had a upcoming herbal store here. That was nice to actually get free samples.”

The fair also emphasized that if the information desired wasn’t available, there are areas in Topeka that can coordinate with students to get it. Overall, Celeste Hajek, Washburn Employee Wellness Coordinator, had strong beliefs the event’s worth it.

“The fair is really important to bring wellness to Washburn,” said Hajek. “Attending the event provides all aspects, physical, religious, massage to the mind and body and the whole body spirit.”