Fair gives students chance to find new interests, majors

Fair game Students got a chance to catch a glimpse of different majors, organizations and travel opportunities Washburn has to offer. It allowed them to see how they become a better part of the university.

The Activities, Majors and Study Abroad fair gave student a taste of student life and opportunities on Washburn University’s campus.

The fair is an event that can appeal to a wide variety of students. Organizations and academic departments represent many different aspects of campus life.  There are many different possibilities for students to choose from in both their extra-curricular activities and in their focus of study.

“I came here with a major in mind, but I just wanted to see what was out there,” said Paul Lews, freshman undecided student.

For students like Lews, every department of Washburn was represented at a table that was spaced throughout the room in a convention style.  Students could interact with professors and get more information about what sets each department apart from all the other choices available to students.

Various clubs and organizations also attempted to recruit students in order to meet their goals of keeping their organizational rosters filled with active members.

“We are pretty close to our goal for this year and feel like we are going to have a strong recruitment season,” said Jaylyn Beaty, president of Pan-Hellenic Council.

While departments across campus and student organizations work to provide information to students, the study abroad facet of the event also showed students that it is a way to grow both as a member of the Washburn community but at the same time, a representative of the university to other people.

“The countries that [were] displayed are ones that Washburn has partnership schools in,” said Baili Zhang, director of international programs.

For students interested in studying abroad, many fellow students who had returned from a summer or semester abroad were able to answer questions that students might ask.

One of the more common concerns that students expressed was the cost of travel abroad and the effect that the Washburn Transformational Experience being an optional part of the Washburn curriculum has had on funding for travel.

“We haven’t seen any change in momentum yet,” said Zhang. “In fact if anything our area of study abroad may be benefiting, with students being able to pick and choose and funding remaining the same.”