Students create goals for organization advancements

Coming Together Washburn students Ryan Calovich, Hong Nyugen, and Lucas Mullin are all looking towards the same goal of a better future for Washburn. Last week when the Council of Organization Presidents met, they discussed overall goals including greater philanthropy and understanding of funding for organizations.

With Washburn featuring an increasing diversity of choice in student organizations, an annual effort to strengthen campus community ties took place last week.

The Council of Organization Presidents (COPS) met last Monday and Tuesday evenings in the Kansas Room as a way to share information on many fronts.

“We use this event every year to promote unity and raise awareness to all the benefits that are out there for organizations on campus,” said Caley Onek, president Washburn Student Government Association (WSGA).

Informing the attending presidents and organizational representatives of the resources they can access, the meeting also served a dual purpose.

“In previous years we had [presidents of organizations] come in and and we would talk at [them], have [them] sign a piece of paper and then leave,” said Jessica Neumann, assistant director of student activities and Greek life. “We want to help make this a chance for you to network and get to know each other.”

In addition to the usual business of the meeting, a new incentive to increase involvement of organizations in philanthropy and promotion of Washburn was announced through a new award for involvement in the community.

“Career services worked with organizations to raise the profile of what it is that we do for students. This effort gave way to the, Commitment to Careers, award that is given annually to the organization most committed to careers and career services,” said James Barraclough, career services specialist.

After the career services presentation, Taylor McGown, budget director for WSGA, spoke about funding and what kind of steps that organizations need to take in order to obtain money from WSGA for the various activities that they want to pursue.

The meeting finished up with presidents moving around the room at timed intervals. Each time a shift occurred a new topic was discussed at each table that ranged from marketing, contacting the appropriate people on campus when planning special events, to basic advice on recruitment and strengthening ties within each individual organization.

“We just hope that this will help build a stronger community at Washburn,” said Onek.