Ichtus beach party celebrates fun, fellowship

Fellowship in action Kyle Volle and Grace Hildebrand watch as their opponents scramble for the ball on the new sand volleyball court outside the Ichtus house. The house was remodeled for the Designer’s Showcase last semester.

Michelle Boltz

Fun, friends, food, fellowship and film, they were all were a part of Ichtus’ first annual beach party Sept. 12 to celebrate their new sand volleyball court.

Money for the volleyball court was raised this past summer by several Christian churches in the Topeka area.

“We’re very blessed to have the sand volleyball court,” said Brenda Kostner, one of Ichtus’ student members.

The  evening started out with burgers on the grill, followed by making sand castles, volcanoes, and islands, and an action-packed volleyball game. There was also an outdoor showing of “Pirates of the Caribbean: The Black Pearl” on screen. It gave it a drive-in atmosphere under the moon and stars, which complimented the cool breeze and friendly conversation.

Campus Ministry recently changed their name to Ichtus, which is Episcopal in nature. Students felt that Ichtus was better suited to the purpose of their ministry, which is to bring God’s love to others. The Greek spelling is Ichthus, and means fish, a very early Christian symbol of Unity. Ichtus is an acronym that means: I-Jesus CH- Christ T- God’s U- Son S- Savior. Ichtus has three values of who they reflect as a Washburn community: love, mystery and transformation. Love represents what Jesus taught us to do. Mystery represents the things that we don’t know, as well as the complexity and grace. Transformation represents the final outcome, both personal and communal. Ichtus is 98 percent funded by United Methodist churches throughout Kansas, Oklahoma  and Nebraska.

Campus Ministry’s pastor, Eduardo Bousson, has been involved with Campus Ministry since July 2009. Bousson found his calling to become a pastor at University of Puerto Rico.

“It transformed my life,” said Bousson. “I’m very passionate about what I do, and I can’t think of doing anything else.”

Ichtus house is located at 1621 S.W. Boswell, and is across from Morgan Hall. Campus Ministry is going on its second year at this location. Due to the Designer’s Showcase remodeling, students had to reside at a different location until the remodeling was complete. There were some minor changes made since then that gave the Ichtus house their own personal touch. In August, the house was dedicated, and has 14 different prayers that were specially written that are located in different areas.

There are three students involved in the ministry that reside at the house during the school year.

Ichtus has many activities throughout the year that are available to Washburn students and faculty. They are planning a missions trip to New Mexico during the winter break.

Sundays at 6 p.m. there is a dinner that is provided by local churches.

“Come and hang out, dinner is very informal, and there’s always a good conservation,” said Kostner.

Tuesdays at 8 p.m. is a Bible study. They recently started a new eight-week series titled “When Christians Get It Wrong.” Ichtus has extra copies of the book available, or can get a copy at Barnes and Noble Booksellers. It is written by a local author in Kansas City. Thursdays at 8 p.m. is their worship service.

Ichtus is also open for a place to study, or if you want a place to just hang out with friends. Ichtus House hours are Sundays from 4 to 8 p.m., Tuesdays from 10 a.m to 4 p.m., Wednesdays from 6 to 10 p.m. and Thursdays from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

“Students and faculty are invited, totally free, no money needed, all is required is yourself and your friends.” said Kostner.