Bods of Honor 2019 in-depth look

The Top Bods were announced at the Homecoming Ball Monday, Oct. 21.

Thomas Hanson and Jackson Woods

Bayley Baker: Senior (Clearwater, Kansas)

Bayley Baker volunteers with the Washburn Alumni Association, works for Residential Living and interns for Public Relations. She has been on the President’s honor roll for five semesters running. She is a former President of Alpha Lambda Delta and Mortar Board National Honor Societies. Currently she is the President of Bods in PR, and is also on the the public relations director for WSGA. On being nominated, Baker said:

“I feel incredibly humbled and excited to be an Ichabod of Honor. Washburn means so much to me, and to serve on the homecoming court is a huge honour. Everyone has been really supportive and it’s been an amazing experience so far!”

Sydney Fox: Senior (Winfeld, Kansas)

Sydney Fox has held leadership positions in Zeta Tau Alpha, Washburn Leadership Institute and WSGA. She is currently a student intern at the Office of Student Involvement & Development. Fox has volunteered for Breast Cancer Education and Awareness and three years at the Washburn Big Event. She is a founding member of the student philanthropy organization Ichabods Moving Forward. She was in 2019 Washburn’s Who’s Who among Students and the 2017-18 WSGA Senator of the Year.

She offers some great advice for freshmen:

“I would tell freshmen to get involved but not be afraid to say no. During my freshman year, I joined too many organizations. [However] I cut back and now that I am a senior I have found my passion. Without being involved on campus, I never would have discovered my desire to become a Student Affairs Professional.”

Shelby Herring: Senior (Leavenworth, Kansas)

Shelby Herring is involved with the Harvesters Food Bank, YWCA Center for Safety/Empowerment, and has coordinated and led Washburn’s Spring break trip to New Orleans. Her WU involvement includes being a staff member for Ichabod Success Institute, FYE Peer Educator, peer advising for Academic Advising and LinC – Bonner Scholar. Herring has honors with Sigma Tau Delta, Mortar Board and President’s Honor Roll. On being nominated, Herring said:

“I was ecstatic when I received this commendation! There were so many wonderful individuals nominated, all of which would be deserving of this honor. Having the committee think that I was worthy of this position was delightfully affirming and validating of everything I do on and for this campus.”

Aubrey Miller: Senior (Topeka, Kansas)

Aubrey Miller’s Washburn community involvement consists of leadership in Zeta Tau Alpha and Panhellenic Council as president and vice president of recruitment. Miller has volunteered at Ronald McDonald House, Race Against Breast Cancer, Making Strides and many more. She is on the President’s honor roll and a member in Psi Chi Honor society. On her nomination:

“I feel extremely humbled to receive this nomination, I am so thankful to be a part of it. I am lucky enough to be on court with an amazing group of students who do a tremendous amount in the community and on our campus.”

Emma Staats: Senior (El Dorado, Kansas)

Emma Staats is involved with the Washburn Leadership Institute, Bods Feeding Bods, Residential Living and New Student Orientation. Staats is a part of community engagement with Topeka and Shawnee County Human Trafficking Coalition and Topeka Housing Authority. Honors include membership in Mortar Board, NONOSO, and Phi Kappa Phi, and is also a recipient of multiple scholarships. On her nomination, Staats said:

“Thank you! I’m incredibly excited to receive this honor. I love Washburn and have so enjoyed my time here; I feel like this is the cherry on top of a fantastic college experience.”  

Isaac Bird: Senior (Topeka, Kansas)

Isaac Bird is a Senior FYE Peer Educator. He is a member of the Christian Challenge, Washburn Residential Council and Friends of Mabee Library. Bird has served the Topeka community in Washburn’s Big Event, is a volunteer instructor for high school Art Day and is a consistent volunteer for Mabee Library during Junior/Senior days. He is an honorary member of Mortar Board. On being nominated, Bird said:

“Being selected as an Ichabod of honor makes me feel humbled and inspired. Washburn has been the biggest part of my life for the past four years, and the recognition as an Ichabod of Honor is moving.”

Brian Clavijo: Junior (Norton, Kansas)

Brian Clavijo is a first generation student taking full advantage of the opportunities Washburn University gives him. Clavijo has served as a leader for WSGA and Campus Activites Board. He has also provided translation services for his community and volunteers for Habitat for Humanity. He is on both the President’s and the Dean’s honor roll and works hard to recruit for Washburn’s first Latino fraternity.

Jim Henry: Senior (Abilene, Kansas)

Jim Henry is an active leader on campus, having been vice president for WSGA and president of Kappa Sigma. Henry has been a volunteer for numerous organizations, including Harvesters, Best Buddies, and the American Red Cross. He has been honored by Order of Omega, Beta Gamma Sigma, and the Dean’s list.

Paul Mismaque: (Saint-Quentin, France)

Paul Mismaque has volunteered for the Big and Little events, the American Red Cross and the Military Heroes campaign, official philanthropy of his fraternity. He is a senior peer educator and former public relations director of WSGA. Mismaque was the president of the Kappa Sigma fraternity, and was inducted into Dr. John W. Ryan Leadership Circle in 2018, a Greek Man of the Year. On being nominated, Mismaque said:

“’Be involved.’ This is one of the best tips that I received my freshman year as it helped me reach out to people, enhance my personal skills while maintaining good grades.”

Zac Surritt: Senior (Meriden, Kansas)

Zac Surritt is involved with WSGA, including being a former president, summer orientation counselor and a founding member of Hope through Headphones. Surritt is active in the Topeka community with the Big and Little Event, Habitat for Humanity and Military Heroes 5K. He has membership in Mortar Board and Order of Omega honor societies. His advice to freshmen:

“Get involved and manage your time. Involvement in organizations is a great way to network with students, faculty, staff, and community members as well has having research support for improved academic performance. Managing time well means you can be involved while still being a successful student, friend, child, sibling, etc.”

Edited by Jason Morrison, Jessica Galvin, Adam White