VIDEO & PHOTOS: Washburn Ichabods vs. No. 7 Kansas Jayhawks

Logan Stutz, senior forward grabs a rebound against the Kansas Jayhawks Nov. 2 in WU’s exhibition-opener.

The Washburn men’s basketball team went into their first exhibition game Tuesday night expecting a stormy welcome. Though the tidalwave of both Jayhawk offensive and defensive intensity crashed against Washburn, it was the “Phog” that finally swallowed them up.

Washburn came into a game in which everyone in attendance knew they didn’t stand a chance. The Ichabods are coming into a season in which they finished eighth place in the MIAA conference last year. They finished on a high note with a run through the conference tournament, just falling short of winning the title.

In contrast, the No. 7 Jayhawks are coming off their sixth consecutive Big 12 title and has been ranked seventh or higher in nine of the last 11 preseason Associated Press Top 25 polls.

The evening started off with all the pomp and circumstance that is associated with Kansas basketball. Even Washburn players came into the game with an appreciation of their surroundings.

“I mean obviously, I think it’s every Kansas kid’s dream to play at Allen Fieldhouse at some point in their lives so that was something special and I won’t forget it,” said Bobby Chipman, sophomore forward.

The Ichabods started off the game attempting to simply hold on. The Jayhawks opened up the game on a 9-0 run that featured dominant play by Marcus Morris, Kansas junior forward who finished the game with 28 points and 7 rebounds. Morris, however, gave credit to the evening’s opponent.

“I mean [Washburn] were workin’ hard to guard us, but with the height advantage it was pretty easy,” said Morris.

After a time out, Washburn continued to labor to get points. At times, the Ichabods flashed offensive skills, getting some backdoor cuts to the basket and some timely shooting from both Chipman and Logan Stutz, senior forward, who finished the night with 14 and 12 points, respectively.

Where Washburn was most impressed with the Jayhawks was the defensive intensity that Kansas brought to the floor.

“Compared to [2008] when we played them, this team seemed to play together better,” said Stutz. “They got into their system more and played really disciplined.”

Throughout the game, Washburn refused to back down. On more than one occasion, the physical play of Kansas caused some of the Ichabods to respond. This was especially evident with Virgil Philistin, Washburn senior guard, who ended up getting tangled up a couple of times in the first half with Tyrel Reed, Kansas senior guard.

The second half was more of the same as Washburn, down 51-27 at the half, came out and and once again fell behind in the half on a 7-2 run by Kansas. The second half continued to be a showcase of Kansas’ physical talents, as the Ichabods fought to stay as close as possible.

After the game Bob Chipman, Washburn head coach, felt that even though the game got out of control early, the contest was still an educational opportunity.

“I think it was a real eye-opener,” he said. “We obviously have some things to work on, especially on the defensive end.”

As Washburn goes forward, they must prepare for their next opponent, No. 3-ranked Kansas State University.

“We have a lot of work to do,” said Chipman, “and I don’t know if there’s enough days to get ready for K-State because it’s going to be more of the same in Manhattan.”