Ceramics group throws Halloween party

Trish Peterson

The Washburn Art Team of United Potters hosted their first ever Halloween party last Sunday, Oct. 31. Included in the spooky festivities were a pumpkin carving contest where contestants got to use artistic tools to decorate their pumpkins, and a costume contest. The costumes were judged for creativity, scariest, and funniest. Costumes ranged from Minnie Mouse, to Where’s Waldo, to a giant banana.

Monette Mark, faculty advisor for WATUP and pottery professor at Washburn was unsure about the size of the crowd because this is the first Halloween party they have ever hosted. There ended up being several students and non-students who were dressed up and ready to participate in all the Halloween inspired activities WATUP had planned for the night.

“I think it turned out well,” said Mark. “It was good for our first [Halloween party] because we didn’t know how many to plan for. Hopefully everyone here will be able to come to the throwing party on Friday.”

Mark was satisfied with how the party went and used the opportunity to promote their next event, a throwing day where the public can learn how to use the pottery wheel.

Participants will get a chance to learn some techniques on the pottery wheel, and make their own pot. The pots will be fired after the event. Around Thanksgiving, participants will be able to return and glaze their piece. Those who would like to dontate their pottery to WATUP will be contributing to a fundrasier sale on Nov. 30 and Dec. 1 where people will have an opportunity to buy pottery from WATUP.

The pumpkin carving contest had seven entries with various forms of artwork. A puking pumpkin, and a ninja were among the creations.  Throughout the night contestants had their chance at carving jack o’ lanterns with various pottery utensils, not the average pumpkin carving hardware.

“It is a lot more fun than [carving pumpkins] at home,” said Emily Kaberline, junior. “You can add a lot more details with these different tools.” Emily was dressed up as Wario and carved herself on her pumpkin.

Officers from WATUP were responsible for judging the pumpkins by creativity.  There were two first place winners who received $10 gift cards to Chipotle Mexican Grill, they went to Anna Moore for most creative and Patricia Peterson, sophomore Mass Media major, for scariest pumpkin.  All other entries received a prize as well, a choice of a piece of pottery from the WATUP ceramic collection.

The costume contest had 10 entries and was judged in three categories, “Most Creative Costume”, “Scariest Costume” and “Funniest Costume”.  A tie for most creative went to Where’s Waldo, Jason Zuspann, sophomore, and Rachel Johnson who was dressed up as a construction worker.   The funniest costume went to Bryce Korf, freshman theatre major, who was dressed in a giant banana costume.  The winners received $10 gift cards to Chipotle Mexican Grill.

WATUP is a group dedicated to learning more about ceramics through the creation of pieces for fundraisers.  They use the money to fund demonstrations and trips to conferences on pottery. They meet the first Thursday of every month in the Art Building in room, 120.