Kansas City art museum day trip

Michelle Boltz

Art Students and faculty will be going to three Kansas City area museums on Thursday, Nov. 4. Interested students can sign up in the Art Building, room 101, to save a spot for the trip. It is on a first come, first served basis, as the bus fills up quickly.

The Washburn University Art Department sponsors trips to Kansas City Art museums twice a year, and are arranged by Art History professor Dr. Reinhild Janzen. Any art student can go on the trip for $10.  “It gives an opportunity for students to go view art. Some art classes are required to go,” said Becky Shaffer, secretary of the Art Department. The Art Department has a fund specifically for the trip to cover the remainder of the cost. It is $20 for other participants to go along, and they don’t have to be art majors to attend. “Many students go more than one year,” said Shaffer.

Students and faculty go by chartered bus, and visit three museums in the Kansas City area. The first stop is to the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art in Kansas City, Mo. Then the group walks a short distance to the Kemper Museum of Contemporary Art. Students are welcome to bring their own lunch, or visit food venders in the area. Once students board the bus, they continue on to the Nerman Museum of Contemporary Art, which is located on the campus of Johnson Community College in Overland Park, KS.

Last spring, the third museum students visited to was the Berger Art Center in downtown Kansas City, Mo. Some students were required to write a short paper on what they saw at the museums.

The bus meets in front of the Art Building parking lot at 8:30 a.m., and returns to Washburn campus no later than 5 p.m. “If faculty have the time, they’re welcome to come,” said Shaffer.