Campus comes together for Ralston family

Abbie Barth, Copy Editor and Freelance Reporter

The campus is coming together to support Terry Ralston, veteran and mass media student with an emphasis in public relations, during his time of need.

Last week, Terry Ralston was involved in a three-car crash while traveling on U.S. Highway 56. Terry Ralston’s 8-year-old daughter, Cassie Ralston, was fatally injured in the accident.

The crash was reportedly caused by icy road conditions.

Terry Ralston was awarded the Washburn Athletics’ Hometown Hero award at the Washburn football game on Saturday, Nov 9. The purpose of the program is to recognize community members that are making a difference.

Terry Ralston can also be recognized on campus for his emotional support dog, Ivan.

Kristen Grimmer, professor of mass media, has Terry Ralston in two of her public relations courses.

“In mass media, we really feel like a family. I’ve had him in two classes, both PR related, and all of the girls that are with him are all really close to Terry,” said Grimmer. “It’s been very important that students feel like they can support him as he goes through this difficult time.”

Donations can be made to the Ralston family or to the Topeka Zoo because of Cassie’s love for animals. In addition, 25% of the proceeds from the military gala this past Saturday will be going to the Ralston family.

Checks can be made out to Terry Ralston in honor of Cassie Ralston.

Chris Bowers, Washburn University’s military transitions coordinator, will be accepting donations for the Ralston family through the month of November.

“I’ve been collecting donations every day since the incident,” said Bowers. “All of it will go directly to the family.”

Bowers has noticed the Washburn community band together in the Ralston family’s time of need.

“The amount of thoughts and prayers, love and support from faculty and students at Washburn has been incredible,” said Bowers. “It speaks a lot about the heart of Washburn and everyone that is a part of this community.”

Edited by Adam White, Wesley Tabor, Jackson Woods