SRWC helps WU students live well

Washburn upperclassmen know how difficult it can be to maintain a healthy life balance with a stressful college lifestyle, especially in a new place away from home.

Located directly behind Yager Stadium on campus, students are able to do just that via the Student Recreation and Wellness Center. The SRWC is committed to promoting wellness among students between studies by offering cardiovascular machines, a track, free weights and weight machines.

The SRWC strives to improve upon its member’s six dimensions of wellness: spiritual, intellectual, environmental, physical, social and emotional. Best of all to students struggling financially, the SRWC is completely free of charge with tuition.

“I think the SRWC a great way to stay healthy physically,” said Amanda Stoller, a senior student worker at the SRWC.  “It’s also a perfect method for stress management.”

The SRWC also features many group exercise classes for the upcoming fall semester, which range from whole body workouts to abs to yoga to kickboxing with different classes planned throughout the day to help accommodate students’ busy class schedules.

For the more competitive students intramural programs are offered that cater to students including former high school athletes that are no longer involved in their sporting pursuits on a school level.  Specifically, students are offered competitions in soccer, flag football, basketball, volleyball, while more casual students may play Wii Bowling, poker, checkers, scrabble and more.

The Washburn community can also be connected through Bod Buddies, the SRWC’s service to pair up members with similar recreational interests.

“These programs are a terrific way to meet new people and interact with other groups of students,” said Stoller.

Students looking for a change in their own wellness programs may take part in the SRWC’s fitness assessments.  Simply ask for one at the front desk, fill out a form, take a meeting, and leave with a unique new exercise regimen.

“It’s a great place to de-stress,” said Katie Henry, junior SRWC employee. “It’s hard to just hang out with your friends and take a break from school.”

Henry mainly uses her own exercise plan, but sees the appeal of the SRWC’s programs.

“I’ve been interested in the group exercising,” said Henry.  “Sometimes it just doesn’t work out with my schedule.”

For further information concerning the SRWC, call 785-670-1314 or email [email protected].