Day offers family fun

Children and games will be a fixture this upcoming weekend, as Washburn gets ready to celebrate an annual tradition that brings people of all ages to the campus.

Family Day is an event that students and their families look forward to each year. With a little bit of everything for everyone, the event is one of the highlights of the year. Traditionally, Family Day is celebrated earlier in the year, but due to changes in the football schedule this year it arrives in the middle of October.

Among the events most anticipated this year are the inflatable carnival rides which children and Washburn students alike enjoy. While events like the childrens’ attractions are one outlet of enjoyment, other events off campus will also be part of the celebration this year as well.

Topeka Civic Theatre in particular will take the lead as it features a variety of performing arts. Starting off on Friday, “The Witches” a youth play that tells the story of a boy and his grandma as they attempt to foil the plans of the Grand High Witch.  On Saturday TCT will also feature an improv comedy performance by Laughing Matters Jr. a youth group that the theatre presents periodically.

“We wanted to help promote Family Day with some of our youth projects,” said Lynda Denton, administrative assistant. “Family Day is so much more than just what is happening at Washburn. The entire community is so family oriented.”

The weekend will also feature two of Washburn’s most successful athletics programs with the Ichabods football team, currently No. 5 in the country, featured in a “Pink-Out” game against the University of Central Oklahoma during the afternoon. The football game will be followed by an evening exhibition of athleticism as the No. 5 ranked Lady Blues volleyball team will take on the University of Nebraska-Omaha in UNO’s final visit to Washburn before they move to Division I sports.

The Family Day slate of events will finish off with a presentation at the Topeka and Shawnee Country Public Library by author Sherman Alexie as he discusses his book, “War Dances” which is the iRead book at Washburn this year.

For more information go to http://www.washburn.edu/main/ur/family-day/index.html.