Lacy leading way for Lady Blues

At age 9, little Mollie Lacy first picked up the game of volleyball.

Even though it was not her favorite sport, she continued playing through her high school days and picked up a deep love for the game.

Of course, growing up in Lincoln, Neb., she was impacted by the local Nebraska University Volleyball Team. 

“I went to so many college volleyball games growing up,” said Lacy. “I fell in love with the environment and wanted to be one of them.”

It also helped her confidence when she had more success in high school than most can imagine.

Throughout her high school career, her team won the state championship two years, and her local club team won the national championship. Personally, she was named an American Volleyball Coaches Association High School Senior All-American, Second Team Super State, First Team All-State and First Team All-City.

Her legacy still lives on at Lincoln Pius X High School in Lincoln. She has held the school records for 452 kills in one season and a career total of 160 blocks since she graduated.

With such great success, Lacy had opportunities to play volleyball at many different colleges. However, when she visited Washburn, something seemed to catch her attention.

“I fell in love with the campus,” said Lacey. “It was the perfect size for me because I didn’t want a big university.”

Another reason she said she wanted a small school was the chance to play, and she got that chance for the Lady Blues.

As a freshman, she started every match. She ranked second on the team in attack percentage, and even earned the award of third team All-MIAA.

Lacy continued to improve in her second year, leading the team in kills, kills per set and attack percentage. In fact, she not only set a school record, she led the entire conference and ranked fifth in the nation in attack percentage. These stats helped her earn first team All-MIAA, first team All-Region and even honorable mention All-American.

She continued her success through her junior year and picked up another first team All-MIAA and first team All-Region.

However, Lacy is not one to brag about herself. In fact, the personal goals she had for herself were never the main focus for her.

“Coach Herron pushes us all to be the best team we can be,” said Lacy. “All the things I did just fell in behind the success the team was having.”

Nothing has changed for her mindset heading into her final season at Washburn either. She wants to achieve success in winning conference, hosting conference, hosting regionals and hosting the Elite 8.

This would mean continuing to win in the fashion they have. Currently, the Lady Blues sit at No. 5 in the nation with a record of 19-1.

Typically, with an athlete like this, academic success is put on the backburner. However, Lacy matches her on-court play with her off-court performance.

Lacy is currently finishing her nursing program at Washburn with a 4.0 GPA. This has earned her numerous awards including; three-time MIAA Scholar Athlete, three-time Academic Excellence Award, two-time MIAA Academic Honor Roll, Academic All-District and a CoSIDA Academic All-American award.

“I actually didn’t even have a 4.0 in high school,” said Lacy. “But my mom graduated with a 4.0 GPA, and I realize that academics will follow me after my volleyball career is over.”