Winding path brings Lofton to Ichabods

Grunge-town Guard Seattle native Dejuan Lofton joins the Ichabods basketball team for his junior year after two years in Phoenix, Ariz.

To an athlete, distance does not matter. Regardless of how many hours are spent in a crowded vehicle, an athlete always has one central thought that is always on their mind—playing the game.

That’s the way it is for Washburn University’s very own junior mass communications major and guard, Dejuan Lofton, who walked onto the team earlier this semester.

Lofton first started playing organized basketball at the age of six at a community center in a recreational league in Seattle, Wash.

“I played REC ball until I was 10 years old,” said Lofton. “Then I moved on to play in an amateur league in middle school.”

A few years later, Lofton was playing basketball for his high school league; though this time, he took up another interest.

“I was a two sport athlete,” said Lofton. “Football became my main sport throughout my high school athletic career.”

However, due to academic complications amongst graduation, Lofton decided to attend Green River Community College in Seattle.

“Football was my main sport for most of my life up until my freshman year of college,” said Lofton. “I was injured so much from my past with football that I decided there was a need for a change.”

Lofton then went to South Mountain Community College in Phoenix, Ariz. as a sophomore. This is where Dave Brown, Washburn University’s assistant basketball coach found him.

“Coach Brown contacted me towards the end of my junior college’s basketball season last year and talked to me about the men’s basketball program here at Washburn,” said Lofton.

Needless to say, Lofton respected Brown and what he had to offer was Lofton’s first choice for his junior year of playing basketball. This year, Lofton is playing beside an entire new team and for a first year junior, he believes wholeheartedly that he made the right decision.

“Coach Chipman is a great coach,” said Lofton. “I’ve really enjoyed being given the opportunity to be a part of the team coached by the NCAA’s winningest men’s basketball coach—it’s been an honor.”

After graduation, Lofton hopes to pursue a career in basketball.

“I didn’t come this far to just not go all the way with basketball,” said Lofton. “I’m playing basketball and going to school; that’s nothing new to me.”

Lofton’s focus is where it needs to be.

“This is all that matters in my life right now,” said Lofton.