French restaurant gives students out of ordinary cuisine

Right down the street from Washburn’s campus is French restaurant, Chez Yasu, and it’s the perfect spot to take your honey for Valentine’s day.

The atmosphere is quaint, with light yellow walls and various pictures of flowers all around. The tablecloths are white, with fresh flowers on each table, and for lunch they use paper napkins. For dinner they use linens, as well as a more expensive menu. Although the menu I was served is their everyday menu and will be different on Valentine’s Day, the food is guaranteed to be good no matter what you get. I have eaten here on many occasions in the past three years and have yet to be disappointed.

Recently I ordered the appetizer special, calamari sautéed in a lemon butter sauce, which was delightfully tangy, but still rich and full of flavor. Mushrooms and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice were the perfect compliment to the chewy-but-not-tough calamari.

I had to stop myself from eating the whole appetizer so I could save room for my entrée, which was the beef medallions on a bed of white rice, with the vegetable of the day. The vegetables served consisted of good portions of cooked baby carrots and sugar snap peas, which seem to be the chef favorite because those are what I remember having the past times I ate there. The beef was cooked to perfection and tender enough I didn’t need the steak knife provided with the dish.

I was full by the time dessert was offered, but still took a look at the menu. Chantilly cream seamed to be common in the four selections that consisted of crème brulee, gateau chocolat, napoleon and gateau fromage. Most were served with fresh fruit as well, and they were priced low at $3.95 each.

Daily you pay for entrees, appetizers, soups and salads individually, or a la carte, but for Valentine’s Day they are doing it a little differently.  It will be a five-course meal for one set price of $57 dollars that will be a choice of two different items for each hors d’oeuvres, soup, salad, entrée and dessert.While the price is a bit high for a student budget, it’s worth the price.

Walking distance from campus is this great place that may be a little pricey, but serves its purpose as a romantic French restaurant. Don’t hesitate to bring your date here.