Q & A session with WSGA’s presumptive leader: Kissell

Voice for Students Amber Kissell hopes to increase student involvement on campus in her term as vice president for WSGA. Kissell and her running mate, Eric Benedict are running for the positions uncontested.

Washburn Review: “Where were you born and raised?”

Amber Kissell: “I was born in Southwest Kansas in a little town called Ulysses. That’s where I lived all of my life.”

WR: “What were your hobbies growing up?”

AK: “I loved playing all types of sports. Whatever season it was, that’s what I played. Basketball was my favorite, by far. I read quite often, as well. I would read mostly mysteries.”

WR: “What leadership positions have you had over the past years?”

AK: “In high school, I was president of student body and captain of the volleyball and basketball teams. In college, I’ve been special events director for WSGA. I was the basketball and football events coordinator and a social chair for AMSA [American Medical Student Association.]”

WR: “What do you think are your strengths?”

AK: “I feel I’m very personable. I like to reach out to other students because they are the most important part of this university. Also, I see myself as goal oriented. When I set my mind to it, it’s going to get done.”

WR: “What do you feel are your weaknesses?”

AK: “The job I’m looking to do is definitely a hit and miss success rate. We can have so many ideas, but it takes a true team effort to make everything a success. I think the first part of the job might show some signs of weakness, but once I get used to it, I think we’ll be very successful.”

WR: “What is the most important characteristics for this position?”

AK: “I would say listening skills. To give the students a voice, we have to be open to hearing their ideas. Also, taking those ideas and forming them with words to speak with administration about changes.”

WR: “What have you learned from already being involved in WSGA?”

AK: “I’ve learned that everything has to be planned out perfectly. When you’re trying to hit all of the students and get them to come to an event, it is such a wide range of tasks to complete. Definitely the organization skills from this job will help continue into a position like that.”

WR: “What did you learn from the last vice president of WSGA?”

AK: “Michael Kitowski was great to work with. He helped me tremendously with a variety of things. He taught me how to communicate with administration and when and where I should approach things. However, he also showed me how to be bold and confident when speaking about ideas and changes.”

WR: “Why did you decide to join with Eric Benedict to run for vice president of WSGA?”

AK: “We’ve both expressed the same concerns about many different subjects. When I’ve worked with him in the past, it’s obvious we have the same passion to change Washburn.”

WR: “What would be your main goals as vice president?”

AK: “I want to increase the Washburn experience. I want to walk down the sidewalk and see students excited about being at WU. I really want to see involvement increase and everyone being proud to be an Ichabod.”

WR: “What are the most immediate challenges facing WSGA?”

AK: “I think the changes we’re about to start implementing will really shake things up. Student government has changed severely since its original purpose back when it was instituted. We plan on returning it back to its original constitutional place.”

WR: “Describe WSGA’s place of power at Washburn.”

AK: “WSGA is pretty powerful in the university. It really depends on the type of subject though. WSGA has the power to help funding with every organization at Washburn. Other areas become a lot more complicated.”

WR: “If you became vice-president, what would you see Washburn being like at the end of your year in position?”

AK: “I see the students having a much stronger voice. When students start to speak, with us in position, they will be heard by everyone.”