Tennis season starts for Bods, Blues

Over the weekend break, the Washburn University tennis teams, both men’s and women’s, traveled to Springfield Mo., to play the first matches of the season against Drury University and Lindenwood University at the Cooper Tennis Complex.

On Friday, Feb. 3, the Ichabods had a match against No. 19 ranked Drury University, where they fell 8-1.

Regardless of the score, head tennis coach Dave Alden, who coaches both men’s and women’s team, said a little more time would’ve altered the outcome.

“A couple of points would’ve changed the entire game,” said Alden.

The Ichabods did, however, gain a lone win when sophomore, Chance Joost, pulled ahead of Drury player, Juandui Reyes during the sixth match.

Alden refers to the close match as a great experience.

“Drury University is a great opponent,” said Alden. “For our first match, I feel we did great.”

The Lady Blues, on the other hand, ended up pulling off an 8-1 win against Drury University.

According to Alden, senior Whitley Zitsch led the game by winning the third match in doubles play, topping her Drury opponent, Jelena Schaeftlmeier.

“Zitsch started out like everyone else did, a little shaky,” said Alden, “but in the end she pulled off a much needed win.”

Saturday, Feb. 4, both teams returned to the Cooper Tennis Complex to face off against Lindenwood University.

The Ichabods pulled ahead on the doubles play over Lindenwood 3-1 and then again in the singles matches in five of six. The attack was led by sophomore, Steven Fletcher and freshmen Maciej Winjarz and Dario Munoz.

The Lady Blues then swept Lindenwood 9-0. Seniors Alyssa Castillo and Jamie Blackim won the first doubles match soon followed by seniors Morgain Rainey and Whitley Zitsch. Sophomore Sophie O’Nail and senior Annie Doole then finished by taking the third doubles match.

Overall, all six matches were won in straight sets.

“As a coach, you hope to see your players character prevail,” said Alden, “and I think that everyone did a great job.”

The Washburn Lady Blues will be off from any action on the tennis courts until Feb. 24 where they will face off against Arkansas-Fort Smith.