Faculty honor outstanding students

Honored Honor Students Michale McGuire, dean of the university honors program, recognizes three members of the Washburn University Honors Program for their exceptional accomplishments during the past year. Family and friends of the honorees attended the honors program spring banquet on April 3 in Bradbury Thompson Alumni Center. The honors program provides opportunities for students to enrich their educational experiences in a variety of ways that go beyond the normal students coursework.

The Washburn University Honors Program hosted its spring banquet on April 3 at Bradbury Thompson Alumni Center.

This banquet celebrated all of the accomplishments that honors students achieved during the past year. Three students from the freshman to junior classes received awards. Graduating seniors were recognized at the banquet.

Fifty eight people attended this year, including the honors students, their guests, the honors’ advisors and other faculty and staff. David Sollars, dean of the school of business, was a guest speaker at the banquet.

The University Honors Program at Washburn provides opportunities for students to enrich their educational experiences in a variety of ways.

“It is a 24 credit hour experience that the students can enroll in and take different courses that they can expand their horizons,” said Lucy Hesse, the president of the honors student council.

The office for the university honors program is located in Henderson Learning Center room 110. The honors study/lounge, exclusively for honors students, is located in HC101.

“Anyone can apply for this program, but there is criteria,” said Michael McGuire, dean of university honors program. “We look at ACT scores and high school GPAs. We have them fill out an application. Part of the application is a resume and essay. “