Students’ art displayed in the Mulvane

Exhibit Teaches Students The Mulvane Art Museum gives art students a chance every year to have their work displayed there. The students chosen will also get valuable knowledge for their future careers as well.

One hundred and twenty-seven works were entered, but only 45 works were accepted by 24 students for this year’s annual juried selection of student works in the art department.

“The first year I didn’t get selected, [so] I felt like I needed to work harder,” said James Sims, junior fine arts major. “Then the second year when I did get selected, it inspired me to work even harder too.”

This is Sims’s third year submitting work for the show, although only his second having work accepted.  Sims’ has two digital photography pieces in this year’s student show, one even being featured on the event banner.

The student exhibits will be displayed from April 6 to June 3. The opening reception will kick off the event April 6 from 5 to 8 pm. Food and drinks will be available in the Garvey Fine Arts Building entry way, as none are allowed in the galleries.  Opening remarks will begin at 5:30 p.m. During opening remarks, a few speeches are set to take place, as well as various awards.

While the student exhibits not only displays the students’ works for everyone to see, it gives the students an experience that they can take with them well through their careers.

“We will arrange the show, but they actually come and install their own work,” said Michael Allen, Mulvane Art Museum preparator.

Student artists were required to attend various workshops, showing them how to properly display their works.

Any Washburn student enrolled in an art class between the spring 2011 semester and the submission deadline of February 10 were eligible to submit up to four works of art. The only limitations of expression were that the art had to be original and the medium used must have been taught in the art department.

Among the 45 different works of art, are a variety of media. This includes, but is not limited to: painting, drawing, ceramics, digital and darkroom photography, printmaking, sculpture, tie dye and mixed media.

The Mulvane Art Museum, ArtLab and gift shop will be open 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Tuesday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Wednesday through Friday, and 1 to 4 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. As always, admission is free.

“I personally think that it’s a wonderful opportunity for the student’s to take advantage of and try to participate in the show,” said Allen.