Words of wisdom: Washburn edition

Graduation. Its a word I wasn’t sure I’d ever get the chance to hear.

There are so many things I learned in the last four years at Washburn. Some of which I thought I would share with those who will be staying on next year.

First, for those that are supremely worried about grades, tests and assorted other things that make your hair turn gray just thinking about them: take a deep breath and let it out.

There will be time for academics. Remember to enjoy your time at school. Find a hobby or get involved in a campus organization.

For me that was working for the campus newspaper. Were it not for this publication, I would never have found out what I truly could do when put under the constant pressure of deadlines and expectations.

For you, it could be an active member of Washburn Student Government Association, working to bring positive changes to the campus. It could be working with Campus Activities Board to bring a multitude of events and performers to Washburn for students to enjoy.

No matter what you do, always do it with an abiding sense of purpose and fun. Take every experience for what it offers, because a trip to New York City or whatever the experience might be may never come again.

Second, get to know your professors. You never know where those relationships will take you. Had I never gotten to know Regina Cassell or Maria Stover, who knows if I would be moving to Southeast Kansas after graduation to work for a newspaper down there.

Besides, when you came to Washburn, most of you said you wanted to have smaller class sizes and the chance to interact with your teachers.

Introduce yourself to the staff at Washburn. Some of the people serving you food, selling you expensive textbooks and manning the department office desks are the nicest, most interesting people you will ever meet.

The other thing that can’t be said enough is go to a game or two while you are here, as well. Become a member of Bod Squad and support the teams at Washburn.

Student athletes put forth their time at Washburn just like any other student, but with even more responsibilities in the form of hours of practice and games which other students don’t have to deal with. The sacrifices they make should be appreciated.

Keep in mind that at KU or K-State, students pay for the priviledge of going to games. In contrast, Washburn tickets are free and most of the teams compete for postseason accolades every year.

For my fellow Washburn Student Media employees, just remember that what you learn working for The Review will carry you through a lot of different places in life.

No one will be able to take away the fundamental skills like writing that you will craft and perfect. No one will ever doubt the dedication of someone who is willing to take on everything that comes with being a student and then add on top of it the stress of weekly deadlines, sources that won’t return your phone calls or anything else that the media world has to offer.

Lastly, to my fellow graduates, remember to have fun out there. It may be time to get a “real” job but don’t ever forget to have a really good time doing whatever it is you are heading into the world to pursue.