What a gas it was to see them

What a gas it was to see them

On April 29, Lee Arena featured four music acts that planned to entertain the Topeka community.

Not only did they entertain fans that night, but they also had people talking for days later.

The Washburn Student Government Association and Washburn University Campus Activities Board organized the event together to meet the request for a concert at Washburn. After much deliberation, CAB focused on bringing in local acts and WSGA contacted Big Gigantic to make their way to Topeka.

The night started with Brail Watson, a local student at Washburn that won a performance time from winning the WU Idol competition.

Watson is a double major in music performance, specializing in the cello and vocals. His goal with his music is to change the world.

“I’ve always been involved in music whether it was in my church or at home,” said Watson. “Then my brother-in-law came up to me and wanted to do music, so we’ve worked together ever since.”

Brail now has an album coming out in a couple of weeks that he is hoping helps his music career take off. He even showed off some of those songs at WUStock, much to the delight of his fans. However, his rapping style is different from a majority of popular rappers.

“I don’t cuss in my album at all,” said Watson. “It just doesn’t show off who I am.”

Watson hopes to continue his music career trying to bring his different types of musical talents together to become a music engineer and/or a performing artist.

Following Watson was Ty Schneider, aka That Kid Ty, a freshman at Washburn who is looking to become an art major.

When Schneider heard about WUStock, he went to CAB and asked if they were looking for people to play. He showed them his music and they got him to play.

Growing up, Schneider was a fan of all types of music. Now, he’s releasing his own music where Ty looks into spiritual beliefs, relationships, fun activities and more.

“I like my musical lyrics to be more serious, cause I think they honestly can show who I really am and show my fans why they should like me,” said Schneider.

The next act was Nate Hargis, aka DJ N8, with Chris Beetles, aka Yung Bee, who combined hip hop and rap with electronic dance music to take to the “next level.”

Both started at young ages watching musical acts and realized they wanted to become artists. When Hargis heard about WUStock, he gave a copy of his music to CAB and was selected to perform.

“The network is growing and expanding every day,” said Hargis.

Beetles agreed.

“The stars are the limit; I want to do this every day if I can,” he said.

However, the crowd really got going when Big Gigantic hit the stage. With hundreds of people and Lee Arena blasting dubstep, the environment was perfect for a concert.

Jeremy Salken and Dominic Lalli hit the stage and gave the fans everything they could have wanted and more.

“We not only play dubstep,” said Lalli. “We play EDM and add classical and hip hop touches to it; it’s kind of our own style.”

Big Gigantic has been around for nearly three years and just came together off chance. Both guys enjoyed all types of music and realized that their own types of music could really be synced together.

“We get to improvise all of our music together,” said Salken. “Since we play instruments and electronic music, then the number of possibilities are huge.”

Their hopes for the future are to continue playing together and to make an impact on a much larger scale. They hope to go international at some point and hope that their music catches on with other cultures.

Big Gigantic can be found on Facebook, Twitter and their website at biggigantic.net.