Sorority recruitment begins at WU

Sisters for Life Hayley Strutt, Washburn student, talks to Washburn women interested in joining Greek life. Formal sorority recruitment is set to take place Sept. 4-8 and will provide information about sorority life.

The first meeting for sorority recruitment happened on Aug. 24 at 2:30 p.m. in the Kansas room. Delanie Atteberry, psychology major, junior and panhellenic recruitment chair, talked to the crowd about the general activities about to take place.

Sorority recruitment starts formally with two orientations, though students only have to attend one. The first meeting will be today at 3:30 p.m. in the Vogel Room. The next meeting will be tomorrow at 7 p.m. in the Kansas room.

At these orientations, each chapter will hand out a financial spreadsheet as well as have a presentation prepared.

Sept. 4 from 5 to 9 p.m. is when sorority Greek Night takes place.

During Greek Night, students will receive their recruitment counselor; as well as, attend four chapter meetings. The purpose of this is that students get all the information about the chapters, helping them select what chapter they would like to be a part of.

“So our process is a process of mutual selection,” said Gary Handy, assistant director for student activities and Greek life. “We want you to interact with the chapter members as much as possible so that they get to know you and you get to know them as much as possible.”

The second day of recruitment, tour night, will start off the same way but in the Washburn room B, again at 5 lasting till about 9 p.m. On this night students will learn more about the chapters, talk to the women to see if it’s a good fit for both parties and tour the facilities.

On the second night, students will be asked to go to Henderson Hall and rank the chapters based on which they have preference towards.

Philanthropy night, the third night, will start in the Kansas Room at the same time as the previous night. This night is all about getting to know more about philanthropy, the chapters’ non-profit organizations.

This can also be called “craft night” because students will be making a craft about whichever organization they are placed with on that night. “On that night, you really want to listen. The chapter’s organization is really important to them and is really important to the community,” said Atteberry.

Again on this night, students will be asked to return to Henderson hall ranking their top three chapters.

On the fourth night, or preference night, students will attend a ceremony of one of the chapters or possible two of the chapters.

“Preference night is a really special night,” said Atteberry. “It’s a lot different than the others. You’ll only go to two events most likely and you actually witness one of the ceremonies, which is a really big deal because most ceremonies are private.”

Then, for the last time, students will be asked to rank their top two chapters. It’s important to remember through this whole process, the chapters are ranking the students as well.

“The negative thing about it (sorority recruitment) is the ranking system,” said Kara Protasio, sophomore mass media major. “I didn’t really like that you rank one out each night, not going through it yet, I don’t know if that is going to be enough time.”

To learn more about sorority recruitment, visit washburn.edu/campus-life/student-activities/greek-life/sororities/index.html.