‘Fryed’ foods impress for less

The name “Fryer Shack” says exactly what the place is, a shack. This shack however, offers up some tasty dining.

I decided that would be the best place to start reviewing this semester, especially because not many people know that it’s there. If you are looking for a cheap lunch that also tastes great, you should definitely check it out. With $5 specials for certain menu items available to Washburn students, it’s hard to beat that deal. This is great for anyone with a limited budget, not just students.

The walls in this shack are made of metal and there is a single-unit air conditioner. Within the same walls is extremely limited seating. With a bar area for four or five people to sit, two booths and two small tables, it’s pretty crowded and definitely gives the feeling like one is standing in an actual shack. Fortunately, the day I chose to go was cool outside, making it bearable to sit out in the patio area.

Each day, the Fryer Shack posts on their Facebook page their available specials. Then what you, the student, need to do is tell the cashier which five-dollar deal you want. They don’t even charge sales tax so it totals to $5 even. This time, I chose the pulled chicken sandwich and curly fries, which also came with a fountain drink. I just don’t think you can beat that.

When I received my meal it came in a little red basket, overfilled with curly fries. They also offer a variety of other sides, including sweet potato fries, onion rings and fried dill pickle bites. The sandwich was a decent size and comes with pickles and barbeque sauce, which was sweet with a touch of spiciness. The curly fries looked strange to me, but tasted pretty amazing. They are crispy and curly but aren’t like your typical curly fries that have some sort of seasoning on them. These were normal French fries but curly. I liked them better than McDonald’s fries.

I was so impressed when I left the first time that I decided I needed to come back and try other menu items. During my second go-round I ordered the number two deal, which is a single cheeseburger with all the fixings. I already knew I loved the curly fries, so I wanted to give something else a chance. I chose the fried dill pickles and wasn’t disappointed.

Most fried pickles are greasy and sometimes the batter is all wrong and falls right off the pickles. These, on the other hand, weren’t greasy at all and the batter held up well to the pickles. The portion was large and I could not eat all of them.

The Shack’s hot dogs also caught my attention. They use all beef hot dogs and deep fry them, then top them with interesting ingredients. You can usually get the hot dog meal for less than $5, and it is served with a side and a drink. I will definitely be returning to try one of the hot dogs, or the deep-fried burger.

The discount is a huge draw for students, but I think it’s also great that the food is good. Go check it out and tell them you read about it in the Washburn Review.

The Fryer Shack is located at 1221 SW Huntoon Street which is pretty close to campus, and not far out of your way.