Deals just for WU

The Ichabod Shop (formerly known as the Washburn Bookstore) is located on the lower floor of the Memorial Union Graphic By

The Ichabod Shop (formerly known as the Washburn Bookstore) is located on the lower floor of the Memorial Union. Founded in the 1900’s, the Ichabod Shop has played host to numerous events and sales. Among these events are “Scorch on the Porch,” secret sales, holiday events, and the newest event, “TecKnow.”

“TecKnow” is a technology based workshop covering topics including new hardware, software and other tips. Another event the Ichabod Shop hosts are its “Make and Take” events, one of which will be held on Sept. 26 in the Memorial Union, where students are invited to participate in some arts and crafts, which they can take home with them.

On Monday the Ichabod Shop hosted the resume roadshow, which was an event where students looking to get a job could bring in their resume for review in preparation for the career fair being held today. During this event the Ichabod Shop offered discounts on resume paper, portfolios and other resume necessities.

On Sept. 19, from 11:00  a.m. to 1:30 p.m., the Ichabod Shop will host a Scorch on the Porch for International Talk Like A Pirate Day. There will be a pirate themed band playing and the Washburn Dining Service will also bring in some pirate themed meals. With September also being the start of football season, the Ichabod Shop is adapting itself accordingly, maintaining its regular hours, but then reopening at 4 p.m. and closing at 8 p.m. It is at these times the Ichabod Shop has special football sales. For family day, Sept. 29., the Ichabod Shop will be open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

“On that Friday and Saturday [Sept. 28 and 29] is what we call our ‘Biggest Sale of the Year’, [which is] the

only time of the year you can buy one item and get the next item [of equal or lesser value] half price, on any Washburn branded items,” said Kay Farley, the Director of the Ichabod Shop.

On Halloween, the Ichabod Shop will be hosting its annual Hall-o-WU-een party at 2 p.m. at the Union Marketplace. At the party there will be costume contests, of varying categories, with prizes for the winner.

Though the Ichabod Shop does sell textbooks, there is a lot more that the store offers as well. There are snacks ranging from candy to chips and nuts, there are general reading books, Washburn water bottles and T-shirts.

“They have really cute shirts, very fashionable,” said Veronica Shastal, a freshman psychology student.

Soon though, there will be a few new items. According to Farley the Ichabod shop will carry both Apple and Windows computers within the next six to eight weeks. Shastal revealed she also plans to expand the Washburn apparel line into “something professional, something you could wear to work. something for someone a little older than a college student.”

All profits made by the Ichabod Shop stay on campus to provide funding for services and programs for the students at Washburn.