Time to suit up for students

Want to wear the Ichabod suit?

Mascot tryouts will take place Sept. 12 for the 2012-2013 school year. Students must register online by today. One mascot performer is returning for the 2012-2013 year, which means one performer will need to be replaced.

Mascot performers will make $650 stipend per semester. This position is work-study eligible.

The Ichabod is the official mascot of Washburn. The use of the mascot is intended to enhance the traditions of the university and energize and entertain an audience through performance.

Mascot performers should possess professional knowledge, interpersonal skill and be skilled in physical performance, as well as dance. The mascot should be able to interact spontaneously with an audience.

All qualified applicants must be able to participate in an audition on Wednesday, Sept. 12.

Performers will be accountable to perform at all Washburn home games and outside appearances as scheduled. They must maintain and care for their costume, props, and signs. Developing, creating, and executing new performances, skits and ideas is a must. Mascot performers must be able to perform in excessive heat and in front of a crowd.

It’s important that the mascot provides creative assistance to presentation, skits, and related promotions. As well as, communicate well with mascot manager, mascot assistants and the other mascot performer.

Mascots are also required to be no more than 6 feet tall and 190 pounds, to properly wear the Ichabod costume. Performers are required to be enrolled as a Washburn University student in good standing and maintain a cumulative 2.5 GPA.

Students interested must submit to and pass a background investigation, complete a sexual harassment sensitivity program and must represent Washburn in a positive light at all time.

Experience in mascot/cheer/dance/game entertainment is beneficial. However, mascot performers must be creative, easy going and comfortable dealing with all types of people.

The schedule of a mascot must be flexible to accommodate the mascot appearance and team meetings, as well as be able to support and assist the evolution of the mascot program.

For the tryouts, students should remember to wear presentable, athletic clothing and shoes. Mascots will be selected based on their appropriateness and entertainment value.

From January to June of last year, two performers made 67 appearances (83 hours). For the entire 2011-12 academic year Ichabod strutted his stuff at 129 different appearances, for a total of 204 hours.

The mascot performers will be attending Mac’s birthday party, of the Missouri Mavericks hockey team, and to Sluggerrr’s Birthday Bash, of the Kansas City Royals, of which students can look at photos of on Facebook.

Washburn is also looking for two mascot assistants, who will escort Ichabod around at events, help hand out promotional items and interact with the crowd. Mascot assistants receive $450 per semester this position is also work study-eligible.

For more information, visit Washburn.edu/about/ichabod/mascot or contact Amanda Hughes at 785-670-2153 or e-mail [email protected].

To register, go to Washburn.edu/mascot. Make sure to send a cover letter and resume with references to [email protected].