WU freshmen get ‘experienced’

WU freshmen get experienced

All around campus, at varying times of day, new students are flocking to one of the Washburn First Year Experience classes. These classes are set up to be an introduction to college life. 

One of the FYE professors, Amber Dickinson, described the class as a “transition period between high school and college.” The class was discussed throughout 2008 and 2009 and opened for the first time, two years later, in the fall semester of 2011.

“For any student coming directly from high school or an international student coming to America for the first time, the FYE class is invaluable in the transition process that will help [students] advance their success in the university,” said Alan Bearman, dean of libraries who was also a large part of designing the course.

The FYE class covers a variety of topics freshman students would need to know, such as how to use the ANGEL Learning Management System and their MyWashburn account.

Other information covered includes job-hunting skills, like manner and etiquette for formal dining, school skills like time management, as well as test taking skills. When asked to sum up the class in a nutshell Dickinson replied that she considered it an “organized resource” for students.

During the course of a class, students were encouraged multiple times by Dickinson to take advantage of career services in Morgan 123. Dickinson also instructed students on how to link their ANGEL and MyWashburn email, negating the need to check both every day.

Kelsey Schweer, a peer educator for Amber Dickinson’s class and a sophomore communication student, demonstrated how to use the ANGEL Learning Management System for the class. Schweer showed students how to check course mail, grades and their course calendar.

“I think the [FYE] class provides additional help transferring into college, and I highly recommend [taking] the class,” said Schweer.

Some students like the class and others don’t. The ones that like it appreciate the information, but the ones who don’t, think it’s redundant.

“I think the library challenges were helpful, but aside from that, there was really no new information,” said Christina Entz, freshman nursing student, who attends Rick Ellis’ First Year Experience

Other students liked that the class helped them think about their time management skills. Athletes in particular enjoy the class because they don’t have as much free time as traditional students. This also goes for students who want to be involved in extra curricular activities.

To find out more about this program check out the website at www.washburn.edu/fye.