Debate on WU’s campus

The controversial debate about whether or not same-sex marriage is good for society, will be addressed on Washburn’s campus. 

“We want to bring in different topics that aren’t seen as much and we feel like they should be,” said Bianca Martinez, director of cultural enrichment for the campus activities board. “We’re not on either side, CAB is on a neutral basis.”

This topic is currently an important one as this is an election year and voters will be responsible for making the decision as to whether and how to recognize same-sex relationship. John Corvino, a philosophy professor form Wayne State University in Detroit, Michigan. Corvino is known nationally as a speaker on LGBT issues and has also been known as “The Gay Moralist”. He is also a regular columnist for 365gay.com and other venues. Maggie Gallagher, the co-founder of the National Organization for Marriage will debate this topic at 7 p.m. on Tuesday, Sept. 25 in Henderson Learning Resources Center, Room 100. NOM is the pre-eminent national organization fighting to protect marriage as the union of husband and wife.

This event is hosted by the Campus Activites Board and to find out more about it check out their Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/WUCAB/events.