Fine dining, technically speaking

Washburn Institute of Technology’s fine dining event will be held at the WIT campus this  Thursday, Sept. 20 from 5 to 8 p.m. at the Chef’s Corner Café. The event was established to help WIT, SkillsUSA chapter raise funding for the students who will be competing in skilled and technical contests at the state and national levels along with showcasing WIT’s Culinary Arts program.

SkillsUSA is a national nonprofit organization serving teaches, high school and college students who are preparing for careers in trade, technical and skilled service occupations, including health occupations.

Attendees will have a choice of a grilled salmon fillet with balsamic glaze or a hand-cut rib eye, cooked to order for an entrée. Served with a choice of two sides: rice pilaf, roasted red potatoes, maple glazed carrots or sautéed green beans. All meals will be served with a dinner roll, side salad and carrot cake.

Tickets to WIT’s fine dining are $18 for an adult and $9 for children age 10 and under. This event is a monthly fund raiser for WIT students who will be competing in contests and leadership conferences. The event will prepare students by helping to create a more realistic restaurant atmosphere.

“This is a great opportunity to challenge our students with food preparation, service and overall professionalism,” said David Praiswater, commercial construction instructor at WIT.

Praiswater wants to encourage the public to attend the fine dining. Each person seated will have an opportunity to fill out a dinner and service survey. The remarks on the surveys are truly invaluable to the training of the WIT culinary students. According to Praiswater, the surveys will be reviewed the day after the event and the students will be critiqued by the chef.

“This entire evening is a learning experience for everyone involved,” said Praiswater. “Everyone who attends one of our dinners is assisting us in making a better culinary program.”