21st Annual Art Fair Spins with Art Preview

The Mulvane Art Museum will play host to the Mountain/Plains Art Fair from 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. Saturday, June 1 and 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. Sunday, June 2. The Fair is located on the Washburn University campus in front of the Memorial Union.

The Mulvane Art Museum’s Mountain/Plains Art Fair is celebrating its 21st year on June 1 and 2 on Washburn’s Union Lawn. This year, the theme will be “Spin with Art.” There will be 90 feature artists from 15 different states with art available for purchase.

Two jurors will be present and will distribute awards for the following categories: Best 2D Design, Best 3D Design, and Best of Show. The jurors are Jon Keith Swindell, who is the Professor of Sculpture at the University of Kansas; and Ron Michael, who is the Curator at the Birger Sandzen Memorial Gallery in Lindsborg, Kan. The winners will be announced at 3 p.m. on Saturday, June 1.

There will also be an Art Lab outdoor tent where children of all ages could make pinwheels, and other fun activities they can take home.

“This event is very family friendly,” said Carrie Riordan, chair of the art fair and the vice president of the Friends of the Mulvane Art Museum.

Live music will be on campus by local artists Pastense, The Wrights, and Kenny Smith from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday. Pastense and Kenny Smith will also perform from noon to 4 p.m. on Sunday. Food vendors will have hot dogs, hamburgers and barbecue, along with hot and cold beverages.

The Washburn Art Student Association will have a booth that features student art. Every piece of art at the art fair will be available for purchase.

“We invite everyone to come to the art fair,” said Riordan, “It’s one of the events that makes Topeka a great place to live.”

Admission to the Art Fair is $6 and is free to children 12 and under. Students get in free when they show their Washburn ID.  Hours for the art show are June 1 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., and June 2 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.