Art of Landscape class offered during summer at Washburn

This week the students of the Art Landscaping class went to Echo Cliff.

The Art and Landscape class is only offered during the summer and is in its fourth year. The course is taught by art adjunct David Hartley. There are currently 12 people enrolled in the course and they go to a different location each week to work on their art projects. Students must provide their own transportation to the sites.

If the weather is cloudy, the class goes to the site. If it is raining, the class stays indoors and works on current projects. The class meets Monday through Thursday from 9 to 11:30 a.m.

On Mondays, the class meets in the Art Building to talk about what site the class is going to for the week. Hartley gives a brief history about the site itself, then gives the class copies of the map and directions on how to get there. Students go to the site all week and work on photography, drawing or painting. They can use any type of art medium that they want, whether it is charcoal, pastels, watercolor, or any other art materials.

In this class, students can explore different ways to do landscapes. Hartley gives his students individual direction and pulls out something specific that the student wishes to accomplish. The main emphasis for taking Art and Landscape is what outdoor art does to inspire students.

This summer, the class spent its first week around campus. Other places they’ve gone were Gage Park, Truckhenge, Echo Cliff Park in Dover, Kan., Clarion Woods Park and Osage State Fishing Lake.

On the last day of class, the students put their art on display for everyone in the class to see what they have accomplished that summer.