Activity Fair encourages student involvement, presents opportunities

Semester at Sea is a study abroad program featured at the Activities, Majors and Study Abroad Fair.

Hundreds gathered in Washburn’s Memorial Union yesterday for the annual Activities, Majors and Study Abroad fair. Designed to showcase all that Washburn has to offer, the fair allowed students the chance to learn about and become involved in activities and organizations of interest to them.

The fair was at full capacity, with more than 100 contact tables prepared for the start of the fair at 10 a.m.. Almost every student organization and campus department presented their information, along with outside contacts from the surrounding community and other areas.

Evan Arnold, vice president of Washburn Greek Life’s PanHellenic Council, was there as part of campus sorority recruitment. She said there are many reasons to be in a sorority and she wants to encourage girls to consider the option.

“It’s a great way to meet people,” said Evans. It’s a really good networking and connection tool for anywhere you go.”

Other benefits of joining a sorority include developing leadership skills, making long-lasting friendships and participating in community service. More information on Greek Life at Washburn can be found at www.washburn.edu/campus-life/student-activities/greek-life.

Other tables at the fair included Washburn Embraces Recovery, which is a new organization on campus. Rashaell Fischer, secretary, was there to speak with students about their values, goals and hopes for the future.

“Our goal is to educate students and staff on campus about what it’s like to be in recovery,” said Fischer.

Friends of someone in recovery, students that are substance free or those going through recovery themselves are all welcome to join. Fisher said they are hoping to get a recovery center for students on campus sometime in the near future. For more information on Washburn Embraces Recovery, email Fischer at [email protected]

Jacob May, junior biology major, was at the fair representing the Biology department. May said biology is a great start for any student that is considering going into the medical field.

“You learn so much about how the world works and see things in a different perspective,” said May. “The teachers are actually engaged and enthusiastic about their students.”

The study abroad portion of the fair had its own section of tables. Several students were there to present on their experiences. Staff members of Washburn’s International House provided information on what programs the university has available and representatives of external study abroad programs were also there to speak with students about what they offer.

Mollie Kaubrys, university relations representative for CISabroad, was promoting the organization’s international education opportunities.

“We really pride ourselves on being one of the most affordable programs out there without losing the value,” said Kaubrys.

CISabroad offers spring and fall semesters abroad, summer programs and internship opportunities in numerous locations around the world including South Africa, China and Australia. Visit www.CISabroad.com for more information.

Semester at Sea, International Studies Abroad (ISA) and the American Institute for Foreign Study (AIFS) are examples of several other external programs at the fair.

Other organizations and majors represented included the School of Law, God’s Bods, Washburn Student Government Association (WSGA), the School of Business, Philosophy Club, the Honors Program, Women and Gender Studies, Computer Information Sciences, School of Applied Studies and many more.

Students continued to explore and learn about present and future opportunities right up until the fair ended at 2 p.m.