New Christian organization at WU

Washburn’s newest student run, non-denominational Christian organization, Remix will hold its first meeting on Wednesday, Sept. 18.

Kelsey Wagers, president of the organization, said that her trip to the Global Leadership Summit conference this summer was big part of her decision to start the organization. Her idea for the name, Remix, came from the inner transformation that happens when becoming a Christian.

“The Holy Spirit comes within you and God changes your heart, so you’re same person, in essence, but you’re different,” said Wagers.

The meetings will take place on Wednesdays at 12:05 p.m. in Henderson 008. They will be largely discussion-based and will also include a mixture of Bible studies, activities and messages.

“Each meeting will likely be a little bit different,” said Wagers.

John Menkveld, senior pastor at Oakland church of the Nazarene in Topeka, will also help lead the meetings. Menkveld previously lived in Denver where he participated in college ministry and worked as a young adult pastor. He moved to Topeka about 2 months ago. He said that he sees his position in this organization as being more of a mentor role.

“I want this thing to be really student-led and student-driven. I want to see students develop as leaders on campus and leaders in ministry. That’s my hope, that’s my passion, that’s my love. Just seeing students develop into those leaders,” he said.

Menkveld recognizes that college is a pivotal time in many students’ lives when numerous big life decisions have to be made in a small time frame.

“You’re trying to find yourself, you’re trying to find your spirituality, and you’re trying to figure out what you want your career to be. It’s just such an important time,” he said.

Both Wagers and Menkveld want students to know that everyone is welcome, regardless of their religious background and beliefs.

“I want people to know that this is a place where they’re not going to be judged,” said Menkveld. “Just come as you are. Let this be a place where you can meet people and explore your faith and spirituality and what that means to you.”

For those that are already Christians, Wagers said this could be a great way to become closer to God and grow in faith with other Christians. One of her goals for the semester is to make and lead disciples, whether that is through people strengthening their relationship with God or through gaining new believers.

“I believe in being missional. Whether than means going over to Africa or some impoverished country, or at Washburn, which is a mission-field right here,” she said.

There are numerous Christian organizations, such as Young Life and Christian Challenge, which have already established a presence on campus. Menkveld wants to interact and collaborate with these other groups.

“We’re all on the same team. We have the same mission. We want to reach students just as they do. We don’t see it as competition,” he said.

For more information on Remix, students can feel free to contact Wagers at [email protected] or check out their page on Facebook.

“We really want to first of all connect other Christians, and secondly just be there for the campus and the students,” said Menkveld.