TWLOHA hosts Hope-n-Mic Night

To Write Love on Her Arms is hosting Hope-n-Mic Night on the evening of Oct. 11. Students are invited to Billy Vanilly from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. to share their talents and participate in the open mic night.

“We believe that every person is unique and talented in their own way and sharing those parts of us opens up a bigger platform to share our story in a meaningful way,” said Molly Walter, president of TWLOHA Washburn chapter.

If students are interested in performing spoken word, comedic acts, songs, dances, magic or anything family-appropriate, they should e-mail their act by 5 p.m. Oct. 4. This gives the organization time to review the material and make sure it is appropriate in terms of the mission and vision.

“We wanted to partner with a local business and our secretary suggested Billy Vanilly, because who doesn’t love cupcakes?” said Walter.

Not only is the open mic night intended for entertainment and giving participants a chance to share their story, but also the music is a huge part of the original story and mission of TWLOHA.

The founder of TWLOHA said once that “music makes us feel alive and reminds us it’s okay to ask questions and scream or cry.”

TWLOHA is hosting this event to raise awareness about the organization and also to remind people that their story is important.

“What they have been through is important and that it is okay to be honest about what we are going through,” said Walter. “The funds we raise from this event will go to help us further our efforts on campus.”

TWLOHA is a non-profit movement dedicated to presenting hope and finding help for people struggling with depression, addiction, self-injury and suicide. TWLOHA exists to encourage, inform, inspire and invest directly into treatment and recovery. The organization wants to reach out more to campus and the community.

“We want to be the voice of hope on campus and encourage students to be open about mental health topics,” said Walter. “There is a lie that suggests we’re supposed to have everything figured out and not struggle with college or life. However, this is not true and that’s okay. College is hard, life is stressful. But we’re all human and it’s okay to ask for help when you need it.”

Anyone interested in participating or wanting more information can contact the organization at [email protected].