Homecoming candidates excited about nominations

The 2013 Homecoming candidates were announced at the Homecoming Ball Oct. 21. There are a total of 10 candidates this year: Five candidates for Homecoming king and five candidates for Homecoming queen. The candidates for Homecoming king are Patrick Barry, Ty Concannon, Derek Fritz, Cory Hamilton and Patrick Towle. The candidates for Homecoming queen are Angelique Flinn, Amanda Kennedy, Bianca Martinez, Bonnie McKee and Kathryn Meehan.

Brief bios for the Homecoming candidates are as follows; full bios can be found on the voting ballots linked on the MyWashburn home page.

Patrick Barry is the vice president of Phi Delta Theta and a member of the Alumni Association, Philosophy Club, Washburn Honors program, Sociology/Anthropology Club, Bod Squad and Ecobods. He is a senior anthropology and psychology major. Barry is from Kansas City and is the son of Daniel and Carol Barry.

“I was completely shocked about making it to homecoming court,” said Barry. “It means a lot to me when looking back at all my experiences here at Washburn.”

Ty Concannon is the president of Kappa Sigma fraternity and Sagamore and the treasurer for Mortar Board and American Medical Student Association. He is a member of the Washburn Student Government Association, Tri-Beta, Bod Squad, Biology Club, Chemistry Club and Ecobods. He is a senior biochemistry major and plans on going to medical school to become a surgeon. Concannon is from Hugoton, Kan. and is the son of Barbara Concannon.

Derek Fritz is the vice president of Kappa Sigma and past president of Greek Council. He is a member of Biology Club, American Medical Student Association and Top City Live. Fritz is a senior biology major and plans on going to medical school to become a medical doctor or doctor of osteopathy. He is from Salina, Kan. and is the son of Doug Fritz and Darlene Flemming.

Cory Hamilton is a member of Washburn’s Criminal Justice Association and a former member of Sigma Phi Epsilon. He served as a big brother and mentor in Sigma Phi Epsilon and is a former student orientation counselor. Hamilton is a senior criminal justice major and plans to attend the police academy and work as an officer in the Kansas City area. He is from Overland Park, Kan. and is the son of Gary and Robyn Hamilton.

Patrick Towle is the president of Phi Delta Theta and vice president of Mortar Board. He is a member of the cheer squad, Sagamore and Order of Omega. Towle is a senior computer information science major and plans to pursue a master of business degree at Washburn. He is from Topeka and is the son of Allan and Christine Towle.

Angelique Flinn is a Bonner Leader and founder and president of the Oxfam America Club at Washburn. She is a member of the American Medical Student Association, RESULTS, Biology Club and Tau Epsilon Alpha. Angelique is a senior biology and human services major and plans to attend graduate school to study public health. She is from Topeka and is the daughter of Raymond Flinn and Susan McClurg-Flinn.

“I feel extremely honored and blessed to have been nominated by the Human Services Coalition and to have been selected as a finalist,” said Flinn. “I have so much gratitude for Washburn University for giving me the possibilities to become the individual I am today. There is no greater way to complete my time here than to represent this university, which has provided me with so many wonderful, memory filled opportunities.”

Amanda Kennedy is president of the Honors Student Council and a Student Leadership Council Fellow. She is a leader-in- training for Christian Challenge, a member of Mortar Board and Student Social Work Association and a peer educator in First Year Experience. She is a junior social work major and plans to become a family and marriage counselor after working overseas with her husband. She is from Bartlett, Kan. and is married to Elijah Kennedy.

“I feel so honored to be representing Washburn during homecoming,” said Kennedy. “All the candidates are so deserving of the nominations. It is my favorite time of the semester because all of the school spirit and participation from organizations.”

Bianca Martinez is the president of HALO and Alpha Phi. She is a member of Catholic Campus Center, Ichapellas and WU Buddies. Bianca is a senior biology major. She plans to attend medical school and work as a family doctor. She is from Garden City, Kan. and is the daughter of Santiago Martinez and Isabel Elias.

Bonnie McKee is a member of Zeta Tau Alpha and has served as their judicial chairwoman and academic achievement chairwoman. She is a member of Biology Club, Chemistry Club, and American Medical Student Association. Bonnie is a senior and is studying to become a physician. She is from Abilene, Kan. and is the daughter of John and Kathleen McKee.

Kathryn Meehan is the president and vice president of social standards for Delta Gamma and a member of their honor board. She is president and treasurer of the Washburn University Flute Association and a member of the Music Therapy Club, Washburn Opera Studio and a drum major and section leader in the marching band. She is a senior music education major. She is from Topeka and is the daughter of Kim Meehan.

The Homecoming king and queen will be crowned during halftime of the football game Oct. 26.