Washburn Tech celebrates premiere heavy diesel construction lab

Washburn Tech is celebrating it’s new heavy diesel construction technology program. The celebration is 9:30 a.m., Tuesday, Oct. 8 beginning in the Conference Center on the Washburn Tech campus at 5724 S.W. Huntoon.

Topeka, Kan. – Washburn Tech, CASE Construction Equipment and The Victor L. Phillips Company are holding a celebration for the tech’s new heavy diesel construction technology program. A ribbon cutting ceremony and tour are scheduled for 9:30 a.m., Tuesday, Oct. 8 beginning in the Conference Center on the Washburn Tech campus at 5724 S.W. Huntoon. The public-private partnership is preparing qualified diesel service technicians who are in high demand by industry.

“The heavy diesel construction program is designed to provide qualified diesel service technicians to meet the demand currently experienced by equipment dealers and other service providers across the country,” says Clark Coco, dean of Washburn Tech. “With the collaboration and leadership of industry partners like CASE and VLP, we are providing a quality technical education and real-world experience that will transform students into valued employees with the necessary skills to drive the workforce and economy.”

Both CASE Construction Equipment and The Victor L. Phillips Company, donated equipment and its knowledge to the project. Forty-three students are enrolled in the program, which launched in August. A full-time student can complete the program in three semesters and earn a 48 credit hour technical certificate and an associate of applied science degree. Students also may complete an associate of science or more advanced degree at Washburn University.