Local organization delivers message of hope

To Write Love on Her Arms is a nationwide non-profit organization with a chapter on the Washburn campus. TWLOHA brings hope for people struggling with addiction, depression, self-injury and thoughts of suicide.

To Write Love on Her Arms is a nationwide non-profit organization with a chapter at Washburn University, TWLOHA WU brings hope for people struggling with addiction, depression, self-injury and thoughts of suicide.

They welcome a wide variety of people; women and men, young or old. A person under pressure with stress-related anxiety about college or someone in the mental health field are welcomed as well.

For those who might shy away from going to a group like this because they are afraid to tell others their story, “It’s not a talk therapy group,” said Molly Walter, a senior and co-president and founder of TWLOHA WU.

They talk about sharing their stories in a healthy way and recommend also seeing a mental health professional. The group does not recommend sharing your story to a group of random strangers, though they recognize the importance of your story and what you have gone through.

“If you are nervous and have had issues in the past, don’t be scared. It’s a fun group. Come check us out for a couple of meetings and see if it’s a good fit,” said Walter. “We want to remind people they are not alone. We are the support system. People need to be with other people.”

On March 1, TWLOHA WU will be hosting the “Love Moves” 5K fundraiser on campus. The group hopes it will bring people in the community together.

“We can walk through this battle together and overcome it,” said Walter.

TWLOHA WU has a Facebook page where upcoming events and special dates are posted. February is eating disorder awareness month and the organization will have a guest speaker sometime during the month.

“We are trying to build a community on campus that gets a lot closer than others on campus,” said Danielle Brown, TWLOHA WU treasurer. “We talk about issues people don’t like to talk about. We are here to make your story positive. We build friendships.”

“We want people to know this is an incredibly hopeful organization. Everyone is so helpful, caring and loving.” Riley McDougal, club vice president said. “We all love when new people come, so we’ll make them feel welcome. We want to be inclusive with all that love and caring to students at Washburn, take the atmosphere we have here and spread it around campus. ”

Most of all “It’s o.k. not to be o.k.” said Walter. “And it’s o.k. to ask for help.”

TWLOHA WU meets on Thursdays at 5 p.m. in the Shawnee room on the upper level of the Union.

For more information email: [email protected],

or visit: facebook.com/twlohawu

or follow on:

Twitter: @twloha_wu

Instagram: twloha_wu

Tumblr: twloha-wu.tumblr.com