What do YOU know about Black History month? Especially as it relates to Washburn University? Comment with your answers!
1. What is the landmark civil rights law suit filed in the 20th century?
2. Who were the three African American attorneys who filed the case?
3. Where did they go to law school?
4. What Washburn Law alumnus was “Attorney, U.S. Department of Justice; and President & CEO of C&P Telephone Company; and President, National Public Radio (NPR); and United States Ambassador to South Africa?'”
5. Who was the first Black Federal Administrative Law Judge in the United States?
6. Where did he go to law school?
7. What Washburn Law alumnus was the first African American to serve on Kansas Court of Appeals?
8. What Washburn Law alumnus successfully opposed racially restrictive covenants in court and won for his Hollywood clients the right to own homes in the ritzySugar Hill area. His clients were actress Hattie McDaniel (Oscar winner in Gone Sugar Hill area. His clients were actress Hattie McDaniel (Oscar winner in Gone Sugar Hill area. His clients were actress Hattie McDaniel (Oscar winner in Gone With the Wind); singer Ethel Waters ( Renowned jazz singer and member of the Grammy Hall of Fame) actress Louise Beavers (First black actress to play starring role on TV sitcom Beulah)
(Quiz contributed by Martin Ahrens, Washburn Foundation. Answers to be provided in future articles!)