150 years of teaching: Tools and Technology

There is an exhibition about Washburn University’s tools and technology’s change over the past 150 years in the Mulvane Art Museum, the exhibit will be open from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m Feb. 7 through March 16.

“The exhibition is aimed to show us old tools and technology to the public,” said Azyz Sharafy, professor of the art department. “Many young students know nothing but iPhones and iPads now, but I think it’s also necessary for them to know something historical and old what their parents, or even grandparents, have used in the past years.”

Over 150 years, the faculty members at Washburn University have adopted different forms of technology so that the educational process at Washburn could reflect the best pedagogical tools and reflect what was happening in the various schools, hospitals, business and disciplines in Topeka and Northeast Kansas.

In the current exhibit there are different historical examples of these technology applications. This reminds people of how educational instruction must continue to evolve so that students are fully prepared for the workplace.

Vickie Kelly, professor allied health, who was involved in putting the exhibit together says the exhibit is going to continue about one month, and they have prepared this exhibit for around two years.

“Many of those pictures are came from the yearbooks over the years,” said Kelly. “Many people, especially youths have no idea how equipment changed in these years so it’s the time to show them.”

Since they didn’t see many young people in the exhibit on the first day, Kelly mentioned they had to do many advertisements for youth and high schools in Shawnee County would have the tour for students to attend this exhibit.

“Not only the old Washburn graduates and faculty members, but also the young students are our target audiences for this exhibit,” said Kelly.

There are many old machines never seen before, they are in quite large sizes and seem different from what we have today.

“I was a Washburn student and graduated in 1983,” said Julie Ross, WU graduate. “It’s amazing to see the machines here 20 years ago and I can still recognize them now.”

So for many people, as they take the trip down “memory lane” at Washburn, they will see many photographs and pieces of equipment they once experienced on the campus or in similar teaching environments elsewhere.