Washburn wins against Emporia State

Sammie Stuart

The Turnpike Tussle has come and gone again. Even though Washburn and Emporia State are 58.8 miles apart, they are the closest universities to the turnpike. This was the 204th meeting between WU and ESU, where Washburn is winning the rivalry 105-99.

The Ichabod’s are 22-8 against the Hornets at home, and the last time Washburn played ESU was Feb. 28, 2013, where the Hornets won 61-55.

During this years’ game, Washburn had the lead almost the whole game. The lead changed from Washburn being up by 15 to being tied at 38 with 9:38 left to go. Washburn never missed a beat.

Junior Forward Alex North had his fifth-straight double double with 22 points and 13 rebounds. Close behind him was Kyle Wiggins with 20 points, 5 rebounds, 6 assists, while Leon Flowers and Chris Davis scored 10 points each.

“It was a great rival win. We came off a 2 game loss, so we really needed this win,” North said.

For Emporia, sophomore guard Terrence Moore led the Hornets with a career-high 28 points, 3 rebounds. Senior guard Kaleb Wright followed close with 20 points, 5 rebounds.

6’6 freshman forward Jeremy Lickteig said, “As a player, especially a freshman, you always have to be ready to have your number called upon in any situation. It is a great feeling any time that I can help contribute in a good team effort and a Washburn victory. The win against Emporia State was an important win for us. We needed to get back on the right track after a small rough patch.”

“We will enjoy this one tonight. But tomorrow our focus will shift towards Nebraska-Kearney,” Alex North said.

The Bods are ready to take on the Nebraska-Kearney Lopers Saturday the 8th at 7:30 pm following the Lady Bods at 5:30. Both games are scheduled to be played inside Lee Arena on the campus of Washburn University. 

Coach Chipman said  the Ichabod’s were ‘ready and out to avenge the loss.’

“Hopefully we can carry that momentum and continue to elevate our level of play so that we can play well throughout the rest of the regular season. The first step in that direction will come with the game against Nebraska-Kearney on Saturday,” Lickteig said. “ We would like to avenge a loss from earlier in the season and stop the hot streak that they are on now. Because we have already played this year, we know what to expect from them.”