White/McAfee announce WSGA presidential run without opposition

Any Washburn student that is interested in becoming involved should stop by the Student Activities and Greek Life office or by the WSGA office. Both are located in the lower level of the union. All students are encouraged to vote for candidates that will advocate for them or to get involved. 

Washburn Student Government Association election season has arrived. Elections will be held for president, vice president and senate seats.  

“The main goal is advocating for students,” said Jessie McGown, current vice president of WSGA.

McGown encourages students to voice their concerns and get involved. 

The first pair of president and vice president candidates were announced Feb. 12. Cassandra White, a junior history major, is running for president. Her running mate is Randi McAfee, a junior criminal justice major. White has been involved in WSGA since the fall of 2011.

White has served as special events director where she was involved in planning events such as WU Fest, Yell Like Hell and the Lecture Series. In addition, she served on Spirit Committee to help plan for the homecoming. She also served on the Food Service Committee where she pushed for all prices to be posted for students in the corner store. 

Currently, White is working with  Rich Connell, director of facilities services department, to move the college readership newspaper dispensers to more highly trafficed areas. 

“I enjoy working to make the campus a better place,” said White.

White also talked about having experience in multiple parts of WSGA as a senator and as an executive staff member. She says her experiences on campus, and in class, have been fulfilling. 

“Because I’ve had a very fulfilling experience at Washburn I feel as though this is my opportunity to give back,” said White. 

White emphasized that president is a position of advocacy and this is a role she is enthusiastic to fill. Senators and executive staff members have more direct roles for specific tasks. The president is supposed to represent the students. 

“Elect a president that you think will be an advocate for you, and will make the time and effort to be an advocate for you,” said White. 

At this point, White and McAfee are the only candidates that have been announced. Their tagline is “Connecting students to what matters, because students matter to us.” 

It is rumored that there are some potential candidates from within WSGA who may run a campaign against White and McAfee. Students have until Feb. 28 to run for the positions. 

For more information, www.washburn.edu/current-students/wsga/Election%20Information%20and%20Forms.html