Suggestions for Nutrition Month

College students do need to make sure they obtain adequate nutrition. They should eat a variety of fresh fruits and vegetables and choose to eat lean meat that has been grilled, baked, or broiled. 

March is Nutrition Month, one complaint that occurs among college students is they do not care for the types of food that are served in the dining facilities on campus.

“I would recommend they talk with the staff in the dining hall to offer suggestions. I think they would love to hear from students what foods they do or do not like, so that they can make a variety of meals more available,” said Debbie Isaacson, School of Nursing Assistant Professor.

Another situation that can happen in college is that students will have classes scheduled during normal meal times. In spite of this, dining facilities hours are usually long enough to allow students time to eat a meal before or after class. If this is really not possible, then the student could ask the professor if they would allow them to eat lunch in class.

There are some classes, such as science labs, where this would not be a possibility. It has been suggested that in these situations students should consider bringing snacks and water with them to help them stay satisfied and hydrated. Some examples of snacks that are recommended for students to have on hand are fresh fruits and vegetables, unsalted mixed nuts or granola.

College students do need to make sure they obtain adequate nutrition. They should eat a variety of fresh fruits and vegetables and choose to eat lean meat that has been grilled, baked, or broiled. Students should try and avoid foods that have been fried or highly processed as they can cause weight gain. Also, limit foods that have a high sugar content.

The vending machines on campus now have some healthier options available for students, but avoid the consumption of energy drinks and drink at least 48 ounces of water every day.

“There is a variety of food available to choose from and that the menu is always changing,” said Tiffany McManis, Nurse Practitioner. “I also know that dining services is open to student suggestions for different menu items, so if there is a particular item they would really like to see on the menu, they should submit a request to dining hall director.”

If students would like more nutrition tips, they can find more information by going to the following websites: health.usnews.com and clarke.edu/page.aspx?id=6510