Putting fun in finals week

The combination of Success and Finals week at Washburn often leave students so caught up in study sessions and textbooks that stress can quickly build up.  Fortunately, Washburn Student Government Association has events planned throughout the week so students can relax, take a break from the books, and socialize.

WSGA will be tabling in the Union throughout the upcoming week to inform students about the available events.  They will also be distributing study guides for students to utilize during finals week.

Anthony Ho, a junior at Washburn and public relations director for WSGA, emphasized the real reasons why student activities are provided during finals week.

“WSGA is founded upon the ideal of ‘student serving students.’ With this in mind, the Student Encouragement Committee of WSGA considers the support of students during success week to be of the utmost importance,” said Ho.

The Student Encouragement Committee, who plan all the provided events for the week, considers multiple factors when scheduling and selecting activities.

“We must consider other campus events, so we do not overbook students,” said Ho.” The second factor is whether or not students will be able to attend the event, which is why two of our events are in Mabee Library, at 8 p.m., which seem to be the ideal time for the maximum number of students to be in the library.”

Washburn students have responded well to WSGA activities.  Events in the past years have been well attended. Out of the three years that Ho has observed the finals week events, he said the favorite event he has seen is the free pizza and energy drinks in the library.

Tuesday May 6, students can pick up free snow cones outside of Mabee Library from 10 a.m. -2 p.m.  That night they can also enjoy pizza and energy drinks inside Mabee Library starting at 8 p.m.

Wednesday, May 7, will kick off with Minute-to-win-it games on the Memorial Union Lawn from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Minute-to-win-it Games: 11 p.m. to 1 p.m. at Memorial Union Lawn.

If students miss the first pizza and energy drinks event earlier in the week, they have a second opportunity on Sunday, May 11, inside the library at 8 p.m.

A popular event in the past has involved opportunities for students to play with animals from the Helping Hands Humane Society.  At this time, WSGA is waiting for confirmation of the event.  If confirmed, the event would take place on the Friday of Success Week, May 9.

WSGA knows that Washburn students will experience stress during success and finals week.  However, they strive to make make the last weeks in class a little less stress inducing and give students a chance to have fun and relax.