Briefs Issue 19

Wesley Tabor, Abbie Barth & Erica Faulkinbury

PR department provides final response rate numbers

The final numbers for the Washburn University campus climate survey are in. The survey closed Monday, Feb. 24.

In total, 49.6% of faculty and staff and 30.4% of students took the survey, according to Joy Bailes, assistant director of public relations.

The survey, released Feb. 3 to students, faculty and staff, asks students about their campus experience and whether they feel welcome at Washburn.

“We know that seeking input from our students, faculty and staff on these important issues will provide valuable information as we develop a plan for our future,” said JuliAnn Mazachek, vice president of academic affairs.

The Washburn Review has inquired on how survey results will impact campus initiatives.

Eric Grospitch, vice president of student life, stated in an email Tuesday that the university is working with the survey company to get a timeline for the results to be tabulated and shared.

Camp War Eagle Recruiting

At 9 a.m. – 3 p.m., Wednesday, Feb. 26 and Thursday Feb. 27, in the Memorial Union / Stauffer Commons. 

Camp War Eagle is a Christian Sports and Adventure camp for kids in Northwest Arkansas. Camp War Eagle is a place unlike any other. Each year, our summer staff has the opportunity to BE THE DIFFERENCE in the lives of thousands of children.

Come stop by the table for more information, or to sign up for an interview. Memorial Union, near the Corner Store.https://campwareagle.org/staff/your-summer

Lincoln Harman Lecture – Dr. Mitchell, “Homemade Citizenship: All but Inviting Injury” 

At 7 p.m. – 8:30 p.m., Thursday, Feb. 27, in the Andrew J. and Georgia Neese Gray Theatre.

Even when they embody everything the nation claims to respect, African Americans cannot count on being treated like citizens. Simply consider the black soldiers and nurses who served in the Civil War, WWI and WWII only to be disfranchised and denigrated … or consider the Ivy League-educated constitutional lawyer who rose to the office of president only to face demands that he “show his papers,” his birth certificate and academic transcripts. Though their success will not likely bring them the safety and respectability it should, African Americans seem to cling to all that purportedly makes one an ideal citizen, including the heteronormative nuclear family and its traditional household. What does this pattern of investing against the odds reveal about African American culture? The short answer: homemade citizenship

Washburn University Wind Ensemble

At 7:30 p.m. – 8:30 p.m., Friday, Feb. 28, in White Concert Hall

Washburn University Wind Ensemble to feature Stephenson’s new “Perpetual Notion” in a world premiere. The work will feature Von Hansen on solo percussion in a 7 minute showcase composed especially for him, with director Tom Seddon.

“Being Good Citizens for Community Cats”

At 12 p.m. – 1 p.m., Monday, March 2, in Mabee Library

WUmester Mondays at the Mabee Series: “Being Good Citizens for Community Cats,” presented by Dr. Kara Kendall-Morwick and Susan Schmitz (former president of Topeka Community Cat Fix)Mabee Library – Living Room

Screening of Suffragette (2019)—Part of Phi Alpha Theta Film Series 

At 7 p.m., Monday, March 2, Henderson Learning Resources Center Classroom 107

Part of the Phi Alpha Theta historical film series, Suffragette (2015) offers a cinematic account of a working-class woman’s recruitment and activism in the suffrage movement in Britain on the eve of World War I. Learn more at https://washburn.edu/academics/college-schools/arts-sciences/departments/history/phi-alpha-theta.html

Mabee library reduces hours

Starting Monday, Feb. 24, Mabee reduced their hours to closing at 11 p.m.

There will be a public forum hosted by WSGA, tomorrow, Wednesday, Feb 26, at 6:30 p.m. in the Kansas room of the Memorial Union. This public forum is regarding the change of hours of operation for the Mabee library. If you believe this is something worth fighting for please come tomorrow night.

##

Word count: 740